Alexander died at Lasswade in 1840, and was succeeded as representative of the family by his eldest son,
XII. JOHN MACKENZIE, Colonel of the 7th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry, and for many years Superintendent of the Government breeding stud at Buxar, India. He married, in 1813, his cousin, Elizabeth, daughter of Kenneth Mackenzie of Inverinate, W.S., with issue--
1. Alexander, who succeeded him as representative of the family.
2. Kenneth, who succeeded his brother Alexander.
3. Mary, who married Dr James of the 30th Regiment, without issue.
4. Anne, who married General Arthur Hall of the 5th Bengal Cavalry, with issue.
5. Elizabeth Jane, who died unmarried.
Colonel John died at Simla in 1856, when he was succeeded as representative of the family by his eldest son,